|Sold By: Carter Project Store||Item Type: Project Material||Report this?||Amount: ₦3,000||Attributes: 45 pages 1-5 chapters|
1.1 Background of the Study
The Nigeria marketing environment today is one of aggressive and unfriendly competition among both manufacturers and service providers. Most companies adopt various marketing strategies in order to maintain or increase profit margin, market shares or sales volume of their products or services. In this effort, quite a fortune is spent on advertising by which the organizations hope to achieve these objectives.
Advertising is one of the most effective tools that manufacturing companies can utilize to create more demands for their product on account of it’s capacity to reach a large number of people at a relatively short time and cost. It involves the creation of demand for products and services with use of written, printed, spoken words, picture and diagrams.
Not only that, skillfully planned and directed advertising not only at home, but also abroad overcome prejudice combat, foreign competition, establish new habit, build good will creates employment, increase productivity, multiply sales and thus, lay a solid foundation for sustained economic development of any country. One contends that advertising is one of the most powerful socializing forces in culture.
Advertising sells more than product. It sets image value, goods and concepts of who we are and who we should be. It shapes our attitudes and our attitudes shape our behavior. Ahunaya (2004, P. 70).
According to the Encyclopedia, Americana (204), Advertising began around 3200 BC. When the Egyptian stenciled inscription, the names of kings on the temple being built. Later they wrote run away slave announcement on papyrus. Signboards were placed outside doors in Greece and Egypt around 1500BC. Perhaps the most important event in history of advertising was the printing of the Gutenberg Bible about 1450 to 1455, the first time that Western man used the principle of moveable type. In about 1477, in London, the first printed advertisement in English announced a prayer book sale. The first newspaper advertisement appeared on the back paper of a London newspaper in 1625.
Advertising has since then been seen to help in economic development in ways of creating jobs, sponsoring sports and the art helps to provide affordable media which encourages competition, improves product, keep price low and enable people to make informed buying choices. Eluwa (2004, P.44).
The impact of advertising does not stop at the economy but also has influenced the social behaviour of youths greatly by way of sensitization, social interaction, modification and other wise. Using ESUT students as an example, advertising makes students too materialistic. Advert affects their value system and social behaviour because it suggests to them that the means to a happier life is the acquisition of more things. Baran (390).
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) is located at the heart of Enugu State capital.
Advertising have influenced students of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) by making them think that life is just about the acquisition of more things, instead of spiritual or intellectual enlightenment. Advertising creates opportunity of striving to attain high materialistic status in students.
– Advertising creates in students liking and preference for a product.
– Advertising stimulates thought about a new product to its consumer’s.
– Advertising makes sure that all information about a product is communicated to its consumer, like the features, and location of sales of the product.
– Advertising with its persuasive nature, builds brand preference and loyalty in its consumer’s. Ozoh (1998, P. 13).
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Like other promotional techniques, advertising informs, persuades and reminds. It can change consumer’s beliefs, attitudes, images and behavior.
Here, the reason for advertising is that advertising is an important instrument of communication as far as commerce is concerned. Once the advertiser has captured the attention of his audience, he holds their interest long enough to make them aware of the production being offered. Successful advertisements do not merely entertain, but try to persuade the audience to buy. This is where the problem lies. People tend to have the belief that this persuasive quality of advertising has an impact on the social behavior of its audience, especially students because they are still within the age of being influenced by the media. Hence, the essence of this study.
The problem therefore is what impact has Gulder advertisement on the social behaviour of students of ESUT.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this study are as follows;
1. To examine whether Gulder advertisement impact on the behaviour of students of ESUT.
2. To examine the nature of impact Gulder advertisement has on the social behaviour of students of ESUT.
3. To determine the level of impact Gulder advertisement has on the social behaviour of students of ESUT.
1.4 Research Questions
The study has the following research questions:
1. To what extent has Gulder advertisement impacted on the social behaviour of students of ESUT?
2. What is the nature of impact Gulder advertisement has on the social behaviour of students of ESUT?
3. To what level has Gulder advertisement impacted on the social behaviour of students of ESUT?
1.5 Scope of the study
The scope of this study is to examine the impact of Gulder advertisement on the social behaviour of students of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Enugu.
1.6 Significance of the Study
The importance of this study is that it will help researcher’s carryout similar study. It will also add to the level of knowledge on the impact of Gulder advertisement. This study will help to identify the impact of Gulder advertisement on the social behaviour of students of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Enugu.
Finally, it will provide the basis for stakeholder’s in planning advertising message.
1.7 Operational Definitions of Significant Terms
1. Impact: – Based on the study, it means that the researcher would look at how Gulder advertisement influences the social behaviour of Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) Students. The researcher would also look at the powerful effect that Gulder advertisement has on the students.
2. Gulder Advertisement: – This is the act or means of making people aware of the product, Gulder Ultimate beer in order to encourage them to buy or use it. The researcher’s interest here is on the advertising message, and the influence it has on its audience especially ESUT students.
3. Social Behaviour: – This is a behaviour influenced or controlled by other persons or by organized society. Here, the researcher would look at how the social behaviour of ESUT students is been influenced by Gulder advertisement.
4. Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT) Students: – This is the researcher’s area of focus in the study.